Do you often watch South Korean influencers' eating shows on YouTube? If so, you may be familiar with this snack. Mochi cookies are now viral in South Korea, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. As the name suggests, this snack combines cookies with mochi as the filling. If you've never ate them before, you can make your own mochi cookies using this easy recipe from Flour n Flower.
- 70 grams of white glutinous rice flour
- 20 grams of corn starch
- 15 grams of sugar
- 140 grams of liquid milk
- 15 grams of unsalted butter
- 100 grams of unsalted butter
- 100 grams of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 180 grams of all-purpose flour
- 20 grams of cocoa powder
- 2 grams of baking powder
- 50 grams of chocolate chips
How to make mochi cookies:
- Make mochi first
- Use a heat-resistant plate to combine the sticky rice flour, corn starch and sugar. Then, mix them well.
- Slowly add the liquid milk while stirring the batter until it is not lumpy and smooth.
- Cover the batter using plastic wrap and make holes in the plastic with a toothpick. Steam for 30 minutes.
- Take when the batter is cooked, add butter while it’s hot.
- Stir evenly, until the batter becomes smooth and chewy.
- Wrap the batter in a bowl with plastic wrap that touches the batter.
- Let stand in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Make cookies
- Mash the butter until smooth.
- Add 1/3 of brown sugar, then stir it until blended.
- Add back 1/3 of brown sugar and stir it again.
- Add the remaining sugar, then stir it again.
- Add the egg, then stir quickly until combined and the batter is smooth.
- Pour the flour blend, cocoa powder and baking powder sifted into the butter dough.
- Stir using a spatula in a chopping motion, until it forms a lump of batter.
- Cover the batter with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Mixing mochi and cookies
- Take the mochi batter from the refrigerator. Shape it into 10 gram balls, set aside.
- Take the cookie batter. Shape it into balls measuring 15-20 grams.
- Flatten each cookie dough ball, add the mochi batter in it. Then close the cookie batters.
- Place the chocolate chips on the cookies. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius.
After the cookies are cooked, let them cool on a cooling rack. Mochi cookies can be enjoyed.