Odading or fried bread or often called pillow cake, suddenly becomes so popular by the people because the selling video of Mang Soleh or Mang Oleh’s odading went viral on social media. If you can't taste odading Mang Oleh because the location is quite far, you can buy it in Jakarta because many sellers sell this snack. But if you are interested in making fried odading yourself, there are tips that you should pay attention to.
In the book Roti Goreng Modern by Albertin Hoesni, it is stated that odading cakes are made using high and medium protein flour. Protein flour is used so that the odading tastes soft. And high protein flour is used so that odading can expand well upward.
While the sugar needed in making the dough so that the odading becomes soft, it should not be more than 15 percent of the flour weight. In addition, egg yolk and whole egg can also make odading soft. This is because egg yolk contain natural lecithin which functioned as an emulsifier and adds volume to the bread. Improver ingredients also help to better ferment and make the bread soft and last longer.
The following is the recipe for soft fried odading reported from the book Makanan Kaki Lima Paling Diminati - 25 Resep Gorengan oleh Dapur Alma:
- 350 grams of high protein flour
- 150 grams of medium protein flour
- 11 grams of instant yeast
- 70 grams of sugar
- 1/4 tsp bread improver (bread softener)
- 60 grams of margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 ml of liquid milk
How to make:
- Combine high and medium protein flour with sugar, yeast and bread improver. Beat using a mixer on low speed.
- Add eggs, liquid milk, salt, and margarine. Stir the dough until it becomes smooth, then make it round.
- Let the dough stand for 45 minutes until fluffy, exhaust the gas by punching it.
- Cut and weigh the dough each weighing 50 grams. Then form a round, and let stand for 10 minutes.
Fry until dry and brown.