Photo source: Pexels
Mentai sushi roll is a Japanese food that is going viral in Indonesia. This food is usually made from salmon. To be more economical, you can replace it with chicken sausage. Through Devina Hermawan's Youtube channel, she shares the recipe for mentai sushi roll using chicken sausage and cut into sheets, making it easier to process. The key to making a sushi roll lies in the vinegar and rice mixture. Check out the full recipe below.
1 ½ cup rice, washed
½ cup glutinous rice, washed
2 cup + 4 tbsp water
4 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
1 ½ teaspoon salt
7 pcs of chicken sausages
1 zucchini, sliced and seeds removed
9 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1 ½ tablespoons of chili sauce
1 ½ tablespoons of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 garlic clove finely
2 tbsp rice vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ tsp pepper
4 tsp sugar
1 teaspoon of mushroom / dashi stock
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
10 tbsp low protein flour
25-30 tablespoons of cold water
1 tsp vinegar
½ teaspoon baking soda
3 sheets of nori, size 20 x 20 cm
Wheat flour for tempura coating
The oil for frying
How to make:
- Enter the washed rice and glutinous rice, then pour the water. Cook in a rice cooker until cooked.
- Mix all sushi vinegar ingredients until dissolved, mix with cooked rice until blended. Cover with a damp cloth so it doesn't dry out.
- Boil water, boil 4 sausages for 1 minute then drain it. Cut the sausages in a circular direction to form sheets. Slice according to taste.
- For the tempura batter, mix vinegar and baking soda until it is bubbly. Mix with water and flour, mix well. Cut 4 sausages and then sprinkle with flour. Dip it in the tempura batter and fry in hot oil until golden yellow. Fry the remaining tempura batter to make tenkatsu.
- Combine all the ingredients of the cashew sauce until blended.
- Combine soy sauce and honey, set aside.
- Prepare a sushi mat and cover it with cling wrap so it doesn't stick. Brush with a little oil. Place the nori that has been divided by 2 measuring 10 x 20 cm on top. Arrange the rice on top of the nori, smooth but don't press. Turn it over, so the rice is on the bottom. Then put the tempura, cucumber slices, tenkatsu, cashew sauce, and soy sauce. Roll and press to make it solid.
- Place the boiled sausage slices on it, press it down using a sushi mat and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Cut the sushi with one pressure for a neat result.
- Give the cashew sauce on top of the sausage then torch until it turns brown. Top with tenkatsu.
- Mentai sushi roll can be enjoyed.